Endless Summer Projects :: Firework Tablecloth
I can't tell you to do this project. It's crazy messy, not entirely kid-friendly, and it takes an eternity to dry. But I had the idea for this project and I became obsessed when it started not working the way I envisioned. Then it turned out cool. And maybe you are as crazy as I am?
I started with water based paint, water balloons, and a gang of willing kids to throw balloons at a tablecloth. But it didn't work.
So I tried a tennis ball dipped in paint.
And food coloring.
Finally, I broke down and bought oil paint. I did not want to use oil paint because I did not want my children anywhere near oil paint. And if I don't, I'm sure you don't either. After doing this project so many times with every other kind of paint, I knew it would get messy. And it did. My hands looked awful and it took forever to wash off.
But I finally got it to look the way I wanted and it's incredibly therapeutic to throw water balloons at a hard surface.
If you want to take the leap and create your own Firework Tablecloth for the Fourth of July, here's how to do it.
You'll need
1 white tablecloth
water balloons
water balloon filler
oil paint
plastic syringe {available at the drug store}
Step 1 :: Fill water balloons with ½ teaspoon paint and top off with water.
Step 2 :: Set tablecloth on a hard surface outside.
Step 3 :: Throw water balloons at the tablecloth until it looks the way you like.
Step 4 :: Let dry {takes about 72 hours}
This project is a part of Endless Summer Projects, a collaboration between Alexandra Hedin, Classic Play, Pars Caeli, Lulu the Baker, and This Heart of Mine to bring you fabulous summer projects for the whole family for the whole summer.















