.

.
This site is no longer active. For the latest from Alexandra, click through to alexandrahedin.com

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Five Minutes With :: Bob Chaves, Hermes of Paris CEO


Yesterday I was invited to a press preview of an event happening all week at the Bravern called Festival des Métiers - Festival of Crafts and had the pleasure of meeting Bob Chavez, the CEO.  He is a very charming man who has been with Hermes for ten years now.  After majoring in Romance Languages in college, Bob wasn't sure what he wanted to do so he went into retail at Bloomingdales.  Working his way through Bloomingdales and Macy's he eventually got a call from Hermes - and happily accepted the position he is in today.  




What is your greatest extravagance?
Travel.  I like to travel anywhere and discover new places.  I woke up this morning and the mountains were beautiful and covered with snow and I thought "I'd like to hike up there someday - when I have more time."




Do you craft?
It's funny you should ask that, I actually made this card case in the atelier.  I got a whole new appreciation for hand stitching.  You can see I started out rocky, but in the end it came out quite nice.


How about cooking?
If you ask around Hermes, the one thing I am famous for is guacamole.  I make killer guacamole.


What person do you most admire, living or past?
That's a hard one.  I can't narrow it down to just one person, there are so many.  But I greatly admire those who do what they believe in and follow their dream.  


Thanks Bob!  Safe travels back to New York!  And while we're talking about Hermes, here are a few more images from the event.  I'm serious when I say you should check it out.  


Festival des Métiers
The Bravern Suite 115
February 23 - 28



The tanner making saddles - they come wrapped in this lovely canvas bag



The ties are not cut from a large run of cloth, but each tie is actually printed individually then cup out and sewn together.  The logo appears on the inside of the tie. 

A Kelly Bag being made.  I dream of a Kelly bag.  All done by hand from hand dyed leather.  

The carpet laid for the event reflects the tools of the crafts people.


Each shirt can be custom made.  Not just the size and color, but one can choose a monogram or an emblem to be embroidered anywhere on the shirt.  

Each shirt is completely done by hand.  Including the button holes.  Have you ever tried to do a button hole?  The seamstress is expected to create two shirts a day - that means each shirt takes four hours to make.

Buttons!  


Fini

No comments: