Bookalicious :: The Sugar Cube




One thing that I believe passionately is that if I can do it - you can do it.  You may feel I have some superior advantage but I don't.  I'm a stay-at-home mom to three kids under four years old and I have twenty eight square feet of countertop in my kitchen.  28.  Which is why I feel such a kinship to Kir Jensen of the Sugar Cube.  She turned a teeny tiny food cart into her pastry kitchen and became the 'sweetest little food cart on the planet.'  If she can bake it - you can bake it.

And now she has a cookbook.  Lucky for all of us - especially with Thanksgiving this week - because there is nothing worse than pumpkin pie.  Literally.  I'm making Lemon Pudding Pops.


Three things I learned from this book.
1. brush the top of cakes with flavored simple syrups = moist cakes + intense flavor
2. ruffles potato chips dipped in caramel are addictive
3. bittersweet chocolate + tawny port = after dinner decadence


Oh, and my next trip to Portland may or may not be specifically to go see Kir.


images via Star Chefs and Chronicle Books

Comments

facebook twitter

as seen in