.

.
This site is no longer active. For the latest from Alexandra, click through to alexandrahedin.com

Monday, December 10, 2012

Obsessed :: 1st edition. {and a recipe}


I am obsessed with butter.  I love butter.  I think I only eat toast and bread because I get to put butter on them without excuses.  I've always sort of thought that butter was butter.  I know the European butter seems a whole lot better.  And when you are baking the cheap butter makes cookies spread weird.  But I hadn't put a ton of thought into it.

The Darigold sent me a brick of butter.  Their butter.  I swooned, I baked bread, I sautéed vegetables - my world changed.  Now I'm not just obsessed with butter, I'm obsessed with Darigold butter.

If you haven't tried Darigold butter, or haven't thought about it - now is the time.  Darigold uses a European style butter churn to create butter that is denser and bakes up better because it has a higher melting point.  That translates to cookies that don't spread and get flat.  This time of year that is highly critical.


When I first started trying Darigold butter I simply smeared it on a crusty loaf of bread and devoured it. My waist line does not thank me.  Then I started trying it in a variety of recipes :: brown butter sauces, cookies, scrambled eggs (did you know that if you chop very cold butter into the eggs before you scramble them it makes AMAZING scrambled eggs?).

I thought I would share with you the perfect recipe for the holidays that is all about butter.  Let's call it butter-tastic.  Butter-rific.  Butter-mazing.  It's perfect for caramels.  Especially when you dip those caramels in chocolate and sprinkle salt on top.   Heaven!



Chocolate Dipped Salted Caramels


1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
¼ cup butter
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 ounces melted chocolate
1 teaspoon flake sea salt

Grease the bottom of an 8x8 pan with butter.  Cut a length of parchment paper 8 inches by 16 inches and press it in the prepared pan so the parchment hangs out on two ends.  Grease the parchment with butter and set aside.

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan combine ¾ cup cream, sugars, corn syrup, butter, and salt.  Stir continually over medium heat until sugars are dissolved.  Stir in remaining cream.  Cook, stirring regularly until a candy thermometer reaches 245 degrees.  Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla.  Quickly pour caramel into prepared pan and let set overnight.

Remove caramel from pan by pulling on the long ends of the parchment paper.  Using a very sharp knife, cut the caramel into one inch squares by gently rocking the knife over the caramel pushing down steadily. 

Dip one end of each caramel into melted chocolate and let set until cooled.  Sprinkle tops of each caramel with a pinch of salt.  



recipe based on Darigold Buttermilk Pecan Caramels recipe


Click here to view a printable version of the recipe.

Important Information :: Darigold sent me one pound of butter to try under no obligation to write about their product.  Opinions and recipes are entirely my own based on my review of the product.  I received no compensation for this post. 

Butter c/o Darigold

No comments: