.

.
This site is no longer active. For the latest from Alexandra, click through to alexandrahedin.com

Friday, January 25, 2013

Charm Hour :: Yellow Bird, Yellow Bird

When I was a little girl, my parents had friends that hosted a Yellow Bird party every summer at their house.  That party was dreamy.  Their house was a perfect specimen of what was great about 1960's architecture.  They had a pool in the backyard that was a bit free form and clad in yellow tiles.  The backyard was a rolling grassy expanse that ended at a green belt leaving the entire backyard wrapped in old growth trees.  It felt like a Slim Aarons photograph.





I'm told that I remember this whole thing a lot more bucolic that it really was.  But I think that's part of the joy of childhood.  However, since the adults were drinking these Yellow Bird cocktails out of a punch bowl, I can't imagine that I'm too far off.






1 ounce dark rum
1 ounce light rum
1/2 ounce Galliano
1 ounce fresh pineapple juice
1 ounce fresh orange juice
squeeze of lime

Mix all ingredients (except the lime) in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.  Shake vigorously 21 times.  Strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice.  Squeeze lime on top and enjoy.




Mix up yourself a Yellow Bird and pretend you too are lounging by a fabulously fabulous pool in a Slim Aarons photograph.   And if you don't know the traditional Jamaican folk song Yellow Bird, click here to sing along while you shake up your new favorite cocktail.  I found myself humming it the whole time.  Trés fab.




Slim Aarons photography



No comments: