Charm Hour :: Violet Gin & Tonic + Beet Tartare


I'm having a heck of a week this week and charm hour can't come soon enough.  Seriously, can't come soon enough.  

Last year I bought a bottle of Creme de Violette and I wasn't entirely sure what to do with it.  Don't tell Mr. Hedin, but I bought it because it was a pretty color.  As the month of April approached - and the looming pressure to create a cool purple drink was imminent - I cracked open the Creme de Violette and started mixing.  

What I discovered was that the flowery flavor of the violets paired really nicely with my bar favorite, St. Germain.  When those two married up with a classic gin and tonic, it was really really lovely.  A perfect spring drink. 



20 mL Creme de Violette
20 mL St. Germain
40 mL gin (Tanqueray)
40-60 mL tonic

Combine all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice.  Sip.


(Yes, I measured this in milliliters.  I'm not trying to be annoying and European, it's just the most accurate way to figure out the recipe.  Think of it as proportions and you'll be fine.)



Such a lovely colored drink felt like it needed a lovely colored snack to go with it - I mean, how often do you have a cocktail without a little something to nibble on?  I'm currently totally obsessed with beets - mostly because they are a good purple food - so we have been eating loads of beets.  After days of roasting them, baking them, frying them, and pickling them, I decided to try a little riff on beef tartare.

It took several rounds to create a delicious little bite.  By "several rounds" I mean I ate a lot of beets that were gross.  In the end, ta-da.  A lovely little purple snack to go with your Violet Gin & Tonic.





3 medium sized beets
1/3 cup capers, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
1 ½ tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Trim greens off of beets and wrap them in aluminum foil.  Place foil packet in preheated oven and roast 30-45 minutes until a fork easily slides into the beet.  Remove from oven and unwrap to cool slightly.  Using a dry sheet of paper towel, gently rub the skin off of the beets.  Replace the paper towel as needed. 

Cut beets into a dice and set aside to cool.  In another bowl, whisk together capers, yogurt, mustard, and oil.  Season with pepper to taste.  Stir in beets gently to just incorporate the dressing and the beets. 

Place one tablespoon on a small cracker or in a serving spoon.  






Comments

facebook twitter

as seen in